Weather Sensors for Golf Course Irrigation
Patented Rain Bird® RainWatch™ technology maximizes
water efficiency, while minimizing system wear and tear,
through intelligent, real-time decision-making based
accurate rainfall measurement.
- The industry’s first active rainfall monitoring and
- The only system designed to automatically react to
rainfall and adjust sprinkler application rates to take
full advantage of natural rain, thereby eliminating
- Saves water and electricity, while keeping the course
drier and more playable, by pausing, adjusting or
canceling irrigation in the event of rainfall.
- Results in reduced wear and tear on irrigation
- An integral part of Rain Bird Central Control Software
versions 4.0 and higher.
How RainWatch Manages Rainfall
- Stationed throughout the course, one to four
high-resolution RainWatch rain cans collect
- A rotor can be set to react to any of the rain cans.
- The central control system continuously polls
each rain can.
- Rainfall data received by the system is used
to make intelligent decisions based on
- System Response: For course-wide reactions
- Program Response: For program-specific responses
- No-Action Response: For monitoring only
- Intelligent responses include:
- Adjust runtimes and resume
An Example of RainWatch in Action
- Your daily irrigation schedule calls for 0.20
inches (0.51 cm) of precipitation.
- A storm begins and once accumulated rainfall reaches
your desired 0.04-inch (0.10 cm) threshold, RainWatch
- The storm passes after putting down 0.11 inches
(0.28 cm) of rain.
- Rain Bird software automatically adjusts remaining
runtimes for active stations, as well as those stations
yet to run.
- Natural participation is seamlessly integrated into
scheduled irrigation, resulting in a water savings
of 0.11 inches (0.28 cm).